Saturday, August 3, 2013

Family Matters

Sometime in the Early- to Mid-Nineties 

If you could go back in time, like Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Past, you might take a second to look at my childhood.  There you are, standing at the window of my single wide trailer on a cold winter night.

(I'll be Ghost you be Scrooge, just try to remember that's me in there)

What's that? There's a light faintly flickering... let's take a peek.

We step up to the window and there he is, a boy. Maybe ten years old.  He's watching TV. It's one of those classic 90's family oriented sitcoms.  You know the type.  Family first, through thick and thin, solving problems around the dinner table and father knows best! It's all there, it's super cheesy, and the boy... well, he loves it.

If you took a look around the room, you'd notice he's all alone. If you walked throughout the house, you'd notice he's all alone.  No parents, no siblings, no pets, and no friends. Nobody. Alone.

And that was my childhood.  I was alone and I wanted what I saw on TV.

Ok, you can go back to being you and I'll go back to being me and we'll just end this little snippet of story for now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment